The Way it Happens...
4:46 p.m.: I sit at the sewing machine. Somewhere in the depths of my memory I catch a whiff of some homemade casserole baking in the oven. I close my eyes and sniff again. Yes, that�s it! Enchiladas!! Hot and bubbling, full of cheese and beans. The perfect food for a chilly, dreary day. A colorful green salad topped with creamy dressing finishes the plate nicely.
4:47: I call Alice to ask about ordering calendars. And to ask if we can please come for supper and would she please make us a pan of enchiladas. She kindly declines on the grounds that she has no tortillas and it�s a little late. I lean against the patio wall and pet the happily purring cat as we chat. She tells me that Joanna made Creamy Green Enchiladas on Sunday for Monica�s birthday. I remember my Quick Burrito Skillet recipe from Kraft.
5:26 (or so): I dig in the freezer hoping to find some ground pork. But, alas, the last time I bought a big bag I made most of it into meatballs, then virtuously mixed the rest into sausage meat. Chicken! That will have to do.
I chop onions and green peppers and the thawed chicken. (Love the microwave!!!) Fry. Surely I have a tin of chicken soup. Nope! It�s all mushroom soup and I�m not after that flavor tonight. Where was that cream soup substitute in the Mission cookbook? Ah, here it is on page 366. Measure. Whisk. Stir. Sour cream. It needs sour cream! Get out the cream and the vinegar and make some. Stir it all together and sprinkle on some spices, like garlic salt, cumin, and seasoning salt. Is that gonna be too salty? Oh, the tortillas will help with the salt. Add chopped tortillas. Heat. At this point my mental recipe would say to simmer on low for 5 min. until heated through and the cheese is melted. Oh, yeah, the cheese! Spread shredded cheese liberally on top. But with my stove being the way it is I know it will burn so I just turn it off. Then I get a brilliant idea to broil it until the cheese is melted and browned, and this is even better.
6:15: I open and heat a tin of corn, much to the approval of the youngest. Sammi puts plates around. There�s even a smidgeon of edible salsa left in the fridge. The beautiful green salad is only an imagination.
6:25: And we sit down to eat supper.
�Her children arise up, and call her blessed.� Proverbs 31:28 (Their father taught them to take this verse literally.)
Here�s the recipe:
2 large chicken breasts, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped fine
� purple onion, chopped fine
1 (10 oz.) tin cream of chicken soup (pg. 366 in Meals Around the World)
� cup sour cream
� cup milk
Seasoning salt, garlic salt and cumin to taste
4 large tortillas cut into 2� pieces
1 � cups shredded cheddar cheese
Fry chicken, peppers and onions in a little oil until cooked. Add spices, chicken soup, sour cream and milk. Heat through and let simmer a few minutes. Stir in tortilla pieces and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Or, if it�s in a skillet that can be placed safely in the oven, broil until the cheese is melted and browned. Serve with salsa, corn, and a beautiful green salad! J
Serves 4-6
Comments
Post a Comment